Beauty

The Classics: All About Lashes

img_3540 img_3545 img_3542 img_3539Today I am talking about my favorite beauty product and if the title didn’t give it away first, you guessed it…mascara.

When I was in seventh grade, my family was getting ready to go out to dinner (FYI- most milestone moments in my life are centered around food). My mom was putting on her makeup and although I’d thought about it a million times, I finally gathered up the courage to ask if I could wear some. To my surprise, she gave in and said that I was allowed to wear one beauty item of my choosing. Decision-making has never been one of my finer qualities (ask my husband when it comes to what to eat for dinner) but I immediately and wisely chose some of her Lancome mascara. It was love at first sight.

Mascara has always been my makeup staple. I love the way it opens up my eyes and the look of long, full lashes. It is my O.G. beauty product and although I’ve worn far too much at times (Twiggy had nothing on me during the college years), I’ve experimented with enough to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. We won’t be talking about the bad ones here (#positivevibesonly) but I wanted to share some classic favs and newer additions.

LashFood Conditioning Collagen Lash Primer – Lash primers weren’t even a thing until a few years ago but I’ve been using this one recently and I really like it! It doesn’t make my lashes too clumpy or too “stringy” and I really love how it conditions the lashes while you’re wearing it. I’ve noticed much less breakage and lash fallout at the end of the day when I’m washing my face. (I’ve also been using this serum at night for the last two months and have seen a difference in the fullness of my lashes!)

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara -This mascara is my ride or die. I first bought it in seventh grade and I have faithfully repurchased it year after year. As stated by the name,Full ‘N Soft makes my lashes so full and does not get stiff or brittle like most mascaras do. I love that I can wear one coat (okay, maybe two) during the day, apply another coat in the evening or if I’m going somewhere, and my lashes will still be soft and “natural” looking. (Tip: I love this mascara the most after about 2 weeks of use. The bristles fan out after several uses and then they really coat each lash!) This is the higher-end sister to my drugstore fav and I tend to switch back and forth.

Benefit Better Than Sex Mascara – The name says it all…just kidding, mom. Seriously though, this mascara works wonders. The unique shape of the wand curls, separates, and adds so much volume. This is my all-time favorite mascara for when I want to get a little more dolled up and I receive so many compliments when I wear it! I love to layer the Full ‘N Soft first and then use this for the second (and sometimes third) coat.

L’Oreal Voluminous Volume Building Mascara. I’ve bought this sporadically over the years but after watching a Jessie James Decker tutorial last winter, I picked it up again. I love the ultra-black color and the volume it gives. It’s a little less natural than the Full ‘N Soft and a little more natural than the Better Than Sex, kind of like the middle child. (I’m going to buy this one next!)

Mascara does get dried out quickly so I only like to keep a handful open at all times. Below are some other products (both drugstore and high-end) I’ve loved and others that are on my list to try next:

Love these:

Up next:

Do you have any lash favorites that I should add to my list? I’d love to hear in the comments below and as always, thanks for reading!

Stefanie
    September 29, 2016 at 3:53 pm

i haven’t tried the others but I’ve been using better than sex for a long time! its amazing!

Laura
    September 29, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Diorshow has always been one of my favorites!

Kristin
    September 29, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I love this! With eyelash extensions, I haven’t had to wear mascara on my top lashes for a while now but I swear by good ‘ole Maybelline’s Great Lash in blackest black (hello, high school) on my bottom lashes! I love DiorShow too when I need to vamp up my look. Great roundup 🙂

xox,
    Kristin

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I think I’m the only person who hates Great Lash! I’ve been trying to like it since middle school but the formula is too wet for me, it makes my lashes stringy 🙁 Maybe I need to give it another try through because you always have the best recs! xo

Sandy a la Mode
    September 29, 2016 at 9:50 pm

i use eyelash extensions but this looks like a great roundup for those who are mascara users!

Nicole
    September 29, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Michelle! I love mascara too! That Better Than Sex is the bomb.com! I also love Cover Girl Lash Blast,Benefit They’re Real and Maybelline Sensational mascara.

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Girl…benefit They’re Real is SO good. I recently repurchased it and forgot how much I loved it! I’ve never tried Lash Blast or Sensational so I’ll have to add those to my Target list 🙂 xo

Stesha
    September 29, 2016 at 10:00 pm

gotta love a good mascara, makes such a difference!

Mal
    September 29, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Great post! I’ll have to try some of those! Million Volume Lashes by L’Oreal used to by my all-time favourite mascara, I’ve lately switched to Bourjois Push Up Volume glamour which I like as it’s quite long-lasting. I still happen to use Benefit’s brush although the mascara itself (They’re real) wasn’t my favourite one. But it’s just me really, someone who looks like a giant panda at the end of the day anyway 😉 Loved this post, great job as always x

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Mal– now you’re speaking my language! I frequently mix and match mascaras and their respective brushes too 🙂 I wish there was a way to buy a mascara formula that I like and customize the brush! I’ve never heard of Push Up Volume so I’ll be looking into that 🙂 Thanks for the rec! xo

Laura Beverlin
    September 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Such a great post! L’oreal telescopic carbon black mascara is my ride or die. I also recently starting using the l’oreal voluminous primer and love the combo!

xo,
    Laura
    Styled Adventures

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:23 pm

I’ll have to try the Telescopic! That’s one drugstore mascara that I have yet to test out 🙂 Thanks for the recs! xo

Adaleta Avdic
    September 30, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Ooooh definitely some goodies here, but my favorite remains the Too Faced Better Than Sex. That shizzz is just so incredibly good, I can’t get enough of it on my lashes. I’ll have to give these other ones a go! xx Adaleta Avdic

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Better Than Sex is pretty hard to beat…but Bad Gal lash is right up there for me. I’d highly suggest it if you love the look of thick, full lashes! xo

mandy
    October 1, 2016 at 1:43 pm

So many great finds! I feel like I need to do a drugstore run and try a few new mascaras now!
    xoxo Mandy

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:26 pm

The struggle is real! I know I don’t need more than 2 at a time but I want to try them ALL! xo

miriam
    October 2, 2016 at 4:26 am

great post! I definitely have to try lash food! that sounds really interesting! <3

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I love their whole line! Let me know if you try it out 🙂

Katherine - Engineering In Style
    October 3, 2016 at 12:56 am

Definitely need to try some of these out!! I love mascara, but bad or old mascara is the WORST.

-Katherine
    Engineering In Style

Amanda | Glitter & Spice
    October 6, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I love buying the mascara sets at Sephora – such a great way to try out a bunch of mascaras (travel sizes) and then get to take another one home. Aka the best deal ever. That’s actually how I discovered Better Than Sex! So good!
    XO Amanda | http://www.glitterandspice.com

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm

How have I never heard of this?! I need to research these mascara sets IMMEDIATELY! Thanks for sharing 🙂

janna doan
    October 11, 2016 at 2:35 am

michele–HEY GIRL. OMG i didn’t know that handle one was FULL N SOFT!! i didn’t recognize it bc i buy the water proof one. BUT shut the front door!! THAT IS MY drugstore HG. we are so meant to be BFFs. seriously. there isn’t anything so natural looking and holds them curl. i’ve always been told, the full n soft is always the BEST first coat. i always dabble and try different drugstore brands bc i don’t feel the need to spend gobs on mascara. but nothing comes close to the full n soft. i always find myself going back to it. hmm.i might need to try that primer now that you are raving about it. and PS–the doll eye is good stuff can’t wait to hear your thoughts/update on this mascara project. PS–i hope i have enough run on sentences here. LOL xoxo,

Michele Shapiro
      November 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm

I am so excited that you love Full n Soft as much as I do! I actually tried the waterproof one when I went on a beach vaca but didn’t like the formula as much as the regular one (this was like 10 years ago though so I’m sure it’s changed by now). I will say though, that ish didn’t come off all day, even when I tried to take it off before bed LOL. Full n Soft is the best first coat because it doesn’t get stiff or brittle and it never gives racoon eyes- a must! Try the Bad Gal Lash or Better Than Sex when you want suped up lashes- you won’t regret it! xo