I’ve never been a fan of the whole “bedtime routine” thing. Most people think it’s relaxing or a time to wind down but by the end of the day, I’m usually tired or don’t feel well and the last thing I want to do is spend an extra 30 minutes applying face cream. I have come to accept that these extra steps are necessary (#aging) but this past month, I also started doing something beneficial to fill in the spare time. I love hearing about other’s beauty routines and what works for them so as I recently changed things up a bit, I thought I’d share what I do to get ready for bed each night.
For the past several weeks, I’ve been utilizing the downtime during my nightly routine to whiten my teeth. I find that it’s the perfect time of day for me to do so because my teeth are already prepped for bed and it doesn’t interfere with my daily activities. I’ve always had pretty white teeth but after years of taking countless medications and supplements, drinking tea and coffee, and the fact that my skin tone is now closer in color to a porcelain dinner plate rather than previous years summer glow (nothing makes teeth look whiter than a nice tan!), my teeth began to look dull and dare I say it…yellowed. I wanted a quick and simple way to get my teeth back to their pearly white-ness and remove any stains that had accumulated over time.
I’ve tried several different ways to whiten my teeth in the past from $500 customized trays from the dentist to $40 over-the-counter whitening strips. No matter the cost, I’ve never been able to finish these processes because my teeth always become too sensitive. Once I learned about Smile Brilliant and their unique solution for the sensitivity issues that I and many others experience, I decided to give whitening my teeth another try.
Smile Brilliant offers a cost-effective, dentist-grade whitening system with custom-fitted trays and most importantly for me, a desensitizing gel to apply to the teeth after whitening. Most people don’t know that sensitivity after whitening is caused by tooth dehydration. The desensitizing gel coats the teeth to help restore hydration and thus, cuts down significantly, if not completely, on sensitivity afterwards. This little tube of magic was a game changer for me! Now, on to the nightly step-by-step.
1. I brush and floss my teeth, then apply the whitening gel to the custom trays and insert them into my mouth.
2. If I’m wearing makeup, I start by removing it using one of the three products below. I like the Tatcha Oil for when I have a full face of makeup and use the Micellar water for lighter makeup days. The Simple Micellar wipes are a great alternative for when you’re in a hurry or on the go!
3. I cleanse my face with the Tula or Dr. Brandt face wash using my Clarisonic, or, I use the Vasanti scrub for when I want to exfoliate.
4. Every other night, I either apply a mask for 15-20 minutes or use gylcolic pads (the other nights I skip right from #3 to #5).
5. Next, I apply any serums to my skin and my favorite part…eye cream.
6. While the serums are absorbing into my skin (about 10 minutes), I take out my whitening trays and rinse both the trays and my mouth. I then apply the desensitizing gel to the trays and pop them back in.
7. If I have any blemishes, I spot treat them.
8. Finally, I moisturize my face and neck and then spray my face with the Tula mist. It helps to hydrate the skin, lock in the products, and also minimize the stinging sensation that can sometimes result from glycolic pads. I remove my whitening trays and I’m all done! There’s no need to rinse the desensitizing gel off as it works best the longer it sits on the teeth to really coat and seal them.
Also….it’s GIVEAWAY TIME! Smile Brilliant has been kind enough to offer one C&G reader a $139.95 store credit (equal to the Teeth Whitening Trays, 3 whitening gel syringes, and 3 desensitizing gel syringes, shown below). All you have to do is enter to win HERE! Giveaway ends two weeks from today. You can also use discount code: classicandgray for 5% off.
Thanks so much for reading and have a wonderful weekend!
*Thank you to Smile Brilliant for sponsoring this post