Life

#thisis30

My birthday was this past weekend and I’m not going to lie, it was one I’ve been dreading for a while. Although I’ve never been one to obsess over my age, there’s something about milestone birthdays that are a little hard to swallow (ya know, the one’s that end in a zero and make you feel super old.) I mean, it’s now my third time entering a new decade but who really cares about the first two, anyway?

Let’s start with ten. Yes, it’s the first double-digit birthday and that’s cause for celebration but other than that, the only thing I was concerned with between 9 and 10 was whether to have a gymnastics party or one at the roller rink. Then there’s twenty… I loved turning 20. I felt like I was really becoming an adult and let’s face it, any birthday that was celebrated by funneling casually drinking Jungle Juice out of a Rubbermaid tub and ended by being thrown in the pool fully-clothed was one for the books. It was the beginning of my twenties, some of the best but arguably hardest years of my life, and I wouldn’t change a thing. So far so good

but now, thirty? I’m sorry, I. just. can’t.

When I voiced the fact that I was dreading the big 3-0, I was quickly greeted with the stereotypical quotes from friends and family; “oh stop, you’re so young,” “talk to me once you hit 50,” and “well, there’s only one alternative to getting older and I’m sure you don’t want that.” Deep down, I knew they were right but whether it’s the fact that a large chunk of my twenties were spent feeling so sick, that I still haven’t quite aged past 24 in my mind, or that I’ve begun to notice fine lines around my eyes, I’d rather this birthday come and go like a ship in the night.

Well, I’m happy to report that June 11th came and went and although I can’t quite bring myself to face the numerical form just yet (I’m making progress after forcing everyone to say 29+1) it wasn’t such a bad milestone after all. I celebrated with friends and family, was blessed with some beautiful gifts, and realized that although getting older isn’t easy, some of the best years of my life are yet to come. In honor of my new decade, I thought I’d share 30 thirty things about me that you probably didn’t know.

1. I have a huge sweet tooth and a definite lack of self-control in this area. Call it a skill if you will, but I can polish off a quart of ice cream like nobody’s business.
  2. I’m terrified of spiders and can tell when one is in the room. My family says that I have “spider sense.”
  3. My favorite movie of all time is Twilight #rpatzfansunite. Some others include A Bronx Tale, The Notebook, and anything with Leonardo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington, or Leslie Mann.
  4. Due to my health, I haven’t been able to drink any alcohol since I was 21…not even one sip.
  5. I keep a Post-It pad next to my bed to write down all of the thoughts and to-do’s that pop into my head throughout the night. Which leads me to…
  6.  I definitely have a touch of OCD when it comes to all things cleaning, organizing, and list-making. There’s something so satisfying about checking things off!
  7. My favorite color is actually pink, not gray.
  8. I’m utterly obsessed with my dog, Teddy. He’s the cutest, most-lovable, mischievous little human trapped in a Shorkie body. Ugh…#hearteyes.
  9. At Christmas time, I always have to the be the last one to open my gifts. I like to savor the suspense 🙂
  10. I’ve had FOMO before it was even an acronym. My mom says that I never napped as a baby because I didn’t want to miss what was going on (See #11).
  11. I still don’t like to nap. Apparently, some things you never grew out of.
  12. I love to clean and find it’s really therapeutic to hand-wash the dishes (Yes, we have a dishwasher).
  13. I pace back and forth when talking on the phone. A hard habit to break with a desk job!
  14. Lately, I can’t stop watching The First 48. I love murder-mystery shows and trying to solve the case.
  15. Oddly enough, I don’t like being photographed.
  16. I’ve eaten oatmeal with a sprinkle of cinnamon for breakfast every day for years and I’m not tired of it yet.
  17. I’m slightly claustrophobic. On a third-grade field trip, I had to be taken out of an exhibit that required we crawl through small tubes in complete darkness to simulate being blind. There was no turning back from there, literally.
  18. Breaking Bad is my favorite t.v. show of all time. Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Girls, and Sex and the City are some other favs. Don’t forget about The Affair, Real Housewives, or Billions. Or Modern Family…Which is a perfect lead-in to #20.
  19. I am extremely indecisive. It’s really bad but I’m working on it!
  20. I have a scar on my lip from when I fell into the stereo while dancing at two years old. They do say babies are like mini drunk adults.
  21. I’d rather snack than eat a meal. Nachos, chips and guac, and a spoonful of Nutella are some go-to’s.
  22. I can’t help but laugh when someone falls down or at any type of slapstick humor. I was hoping I’d grow out of this but I swear, I can’t help it!
  23. One of my biggest pet peeves is smudging a freshly-polished nail.
  24. I was in a sorority in college and had some of the best times of my life. I can still recite the Greek alphabet.
  25. My middle name is Mary so my maiden name initials were MMM.
  26. I turned down my husband before I agreed to date him. Good thing I changed my mind 😉
  27. When I’m home alone at night, I check under each bed, behind the shower curtains, and in all the closets. (Okay, maybe I should stop watching The First 48.)
  28. I am a chronic re-decorator. I get bored quickly so I love to switch things up!
  29. I drink Pedialyte almost every day and have actually grown to like it #lowbloodpressureproblems.
  30. I took 7 years of Spanish but can barely put together a cohesive sentence. “Gracias para vivar en la casa, en la escuelas, en…en la azul… “markada”. (Okay, add Bridesmaids, to the fav movie list!)

I hope you enjoyed this post and I’d love to hear something fun about you in the comments below! Thanks so much for reading.

Kristen
    June 16, 2016 at 9:47 pm

OK…so first, I feel your pain with the birthday denial! Second, who knew we had so much in common, I literally get anxiety if I smudge a nail and have to tell myself that everything will be ok, even if it happens. Also, my husband always laughs at me when I fall or hurt myself…what is wrong with you people?!?

Anyway, happy birthday girly!! Hope you had an amazing day!

xoxo, Kristen

Michele
      June 21, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thank you, Kristen! I think turning 30 is kind of like ripping a bandaid off 🙂 Thank goodness gel nails help our nail polish dilemma and tell your husband I feel his pain. My husband recently tripped and hurt himself and I took everything in me not to laugh outloud. I waited until after he was feeling a little better haha! I love following along with the house reno, please keep the snaps coming! xox

Vanessa @ Living in Steil
    June 16, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Happy birthday, Michele! I’m turning 3-0 in November and I can totally relate to this post. Due to my health problems, I feel like I never aged past 26. Actually, this was the first year that I celebrated my half-year birthday! Reading these things about you makes me think we are sisters from another mister. I am a complete chocoholic — Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter cups don’t stand a chance with me. I’m deathly afraid of spiders. And I check under the bed and in the shower when I am home alone. Glad to see I’m in good company!

Michele
      June 21, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Hi Vanessa! Thank you for the birthday wishes and girl, 30 is the real deal. You’re probably one of the only people who can really understand that point of view but you’re right. It’s almost as though I mentally thought time was going to slow down once I got sick and that there wouldn’t be years of my life that passed before my eyes! All I can say is that we have a lot of making up to do in the future so that best is yet to come 🙂 P.S.- totally trying the TJ Peanut Butter cups. I’ve never had them but for some reason, I’m now craving them! Thanks for stopping by xoxox

Jess
    June 17, 2016 at 12:21 am

Ahh I love this Michele. Decision making is the worst…I have nightly arguments with my boyfriend because I can’t decide what to have for dinner, ha! Of course there is one decision I can make and it’s that I want ice cream ALL THE TIME.

Xo
    Jess

Michele
      June 21, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Isn’t it?! I don’t care if it’s as simple as what to eat, what to wear, or what chore to do first… I just can’t seem to make a choice! (You can imagine how much fun it is to go out to dinner with me while I’m trying to order off the menu 🙂 Happy to hear I’m not in the boat alone and Ice Cream?! I feel like that’s not even a decision, it’s just YES all the time!! Thanks for stopping by xoxox

janna doan
    June 21, 2016 at 3:27 am

michele–30 looks amazing on you regardless of what you say!!! i know that feeling that you express here when i turned 30, i felt the same way. but girl. you know what?! the best is yet to come. there is so much beauty in aging when you really think about it. idk call me an old grandma (i mean i almost have two years on you. lol). but wow i loved learning more about you. i mean i know you have a sweet tooth already, do you remember man on fire with denzel?!, you are not missing out on alcohol it tastes disgusting anyways, about post-it notes!! omg i am the same way except i only like the super stickey ones (how’s that for OCD?) lol, classicinpink?!, cleaning is therapeutic?!? girl you can come over ANYDAY!!, i also do not like being photographed!!!!, how the heck… do you eat oatmeal everyday?!?! (bowing down to you), snacky snack errrdayyy!!, love #26, maybe it goes to say we are always end up with someone that is the opposite of what we are looking for?!!. cheers to you michele, wishing you a year of lots of smiles and laughter, you know the one where you hold your stomach and start crying!! thanks for sharing this one. xoxo,

Michele
      June 21, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Janna, your comments always put a smile on my face! I still don’t believe you when you say you’re in your thirties but I suppose I’ll have to take your word for it #skincaregoals. You’re right, the best IS yet to come but I could do without the wrinkles, gray hair, and sunspots that are in my future haha! First off, Man on Fire- I mean, talk about needing a towel. When he crosses the bridge at the end I always yell “Creasy, nooooo!!!!” And classic in pink…that sounds kind of cute! Except that I don;t really own much that’s pink 🙁 Maybe 30 is the year to change that! How funny is that that we both hate being photographed yet are style bloggers? Clearly I’m not the only one who likes to torture themselves for the sake of sharing an outfit. P.S. snacking is a great idea until I fed my nacho craving, literally, yesterday and was nauseous until this morning. It was so good though! I’m also going on a healthy diet tomorrow so guess what I’m getting tonight?! Coldstone…yep, it’s happening. Thanks for the sweet wishes and as always, you da, you da best! xoxo