Fashion Life

Spring Staples

IMG_5834IMG_5798IMG_5813IMG_5757IMG_5763IMG_5912IMG_5787IMG_5766IMG_5802IMG_5892IMG_5820

Trench [Banana RepublicDress [AsosBag [CoachSneakers [Adidas, also love theseHat [Old Navy, similar hereWatch [Michele, band]

If you remember my post where I talked a little about all of my new/barely worn clothing that have met their fate in Rubbermaid tubs, you’ll know that I’m learning from my mistakes and making more of a conscious effort to change my mentality when it comes to shopping as a whole.

I used to believe that “more” meant “better” and unfortunately, that type of thinking led to a lot of money wasted and closets full of unworn items that I’m still trying to sort my way through. My 24-year-old self would love to come out of a store with 10 sale items for $100 rather than one great piece for $100 but 29.75-year-old Michele knows better #lifelessons. Now, I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with getting a good deal or a more exhilarating feeling than finding a pair of shoes for like, 75% off, but I found myself often swayed by the price on the tag rather than my love or need for the item. I have since changed my mindset to “quality over quantity” for just about everything in life (maybe it’s all of the wisdom I’m gaining now that my 30th is rapidly approaching) and I’ve been on a quest to invest in my wardrobe and make smarter choices when it comes to what I purchase.

The weekend before last, I woke up with more energy than usual (insert at least six salsa-dancer emoji’s) and felt up to making the three-minute trek to the mall for a quick trip (the perks of having 200 retailers as your neighbors). My justification- I had a Banana Republic gift card to spend (my mom always said that money burns a hole in my pocket and apparently she was right) and I could most definitely use the exercise. At my last appointment, my doctor told me I needed to push myself a little more (after all, he does know best). Given that my hubby could chaperone accompany me should I have a minor health crisis, I figured what better motivation to get out than a little retail therapy? (Thank you, Dr. W!)

Upon entry to the store and because old habits die hard, I immediately b-lined to the sale rack like a moth to a flame and quickly started slinging pieces over my arm. Partly because Eddie was glaring at me/I was trying to hurry before the pre-syncope symptoms set in/my arm was already tired (remind me to add bicep curls to my to-do list), I took a step back and reminded myself of my new mentality. I put down the flared jeans, floral skirt, 40% off wool coat, ruffled sweater, gold phone case sale pieces and searched for something else, something to fill in a hole in my wardrobe. I saw this trench coat on the mannequin and didn’t need to look any further! I didn’t have a tan trench, my raincoat was missing a button or three, and it fit like a glove. Before I could change my mind and snatch up my abandoned sale finds, I headed to the register and completed my purchase.

I believe that functional fashion is key. A trench of any kind is such a staple piece for spring time (April showers bring May flowers) and while we’re on the topic of staples, two words…white sneakers. Get yourself a pair and never look back. I’ve been alternating wearing these and these with everythinggg lately due to how comfortable and cute they are and I actually love the way they look with a dress. I never thought I’d be a sneaker and dress type of gal but I’m proof that sometimes you need to take a risk in order to grow your sense of style! I channeled my inner Carmen Sandiego by adding this hat (another recent style “risk”) and voila– a simple, functional, comfortable, and stylish outfit that I’ll get plenty of use out of. Lesson of the day? More is definitely not always better (unless we’re talking about fro-yo toppings because in that case…gimme. them. all.)

Emma Giddens
    April 14, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Your adidas are so cute! Love how they add a laid back vibe to your outfit.

April 21, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Thank you so much Emma! I’ve been LIVING in them. I appreciate you stopping by and have a great weekend! Xo

Kristin
    April 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I’m SO GLAD you mentioned Carmen Sandiego because I instantly thought of her–except you’re a fabulously chic version of her in this outfit. Yay for dropping the sale pieces and investing in the trench, it’s amazing and now I probably need it. Bad influence 😉

xox,
    Kristin

April 21, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Hahaha I now KNOW we’d be great friends given the fact that not only do you know of CS, but actually thought of her too! Girlfriend, it’s taken some serious effort to knock the strictly sale-shopping habit but I’m so happy that I did! And you totally need this trench if you don’t have one, 100% ? Thanks for stopping by xox

janna doan (@jannadoan)
    April 18, 2016 at 9:57 pm

michele–girl. it is def age; my life is all about QUALITY over QUANTITY–in every aspect. ain’t nobody got time for anything else ya knooowwww?! if i haven’t told you before, i love your writing. it’s HILARIOUS i just sit here laughing, ” I immediately b-lined to the sale rack like a moth to a flame and quickly started slinging pieces over my arm.” and that bicep curl add on topped it. lol, and i’m glad you got some retail therapy on in a GOOD WAY; and that this trench went home with you. because girl, it looks amazing on you — great choice!! and that carmen sandiego reference, seriously!! i watched that when i was younger. “where in the world is carmen sandiego?!” um, on classicandgray. duh. with that mini coach bag i could use…! haha. ok. jk. ps–need some white sneaks stat. i need to rock a dress with sneaks like you babe. xoxo,

April 21, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Janna please move to DC and be my best friend. I have the best time reading your comments! Your personality completely shines through! You are too funny and you talk just like me LOL (plus if you lived closer, I can borrow your bags…all the heart eyes.) Thank goodness you and Kristin both knew who Carmen Sandiego was because I was a little worried I was dating myself making that reference #thisis29. I was singing that song for like two hours after thinking of her! You absolutely NEED white sneakers; you’ll be living in them, I promise. Also, the mini Coach bag doesn’t meet the water-bottle rule requirement but because I love it so much, I’m willing to compromise. I now have to find the mini Poland Springs for the days I wear it haha!! Have a lovely weekend my dear and thanks for making my day! xoxo

janna doan (@jannadoan)
    April 18, 2016 at 9:57 pm

oh.. and yes. that last sentence. me likey. 😛

AlifyaLifestyle
    April 19, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Lovely pics! You have a great blog btw! Glad to have found you! 🙂 xo

April 21, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thank you so much! I love your recent inspirational post! Have a wonderful weekend xo

Heather Johnson
    April 23, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Michelle! I love this post, you gorgeous babe you! I completely agree… quality over quanitity – and even as someone with a few (ahem) more years of shopping sale mistakes than you cite, I still struggle with this! Oh, may I ever learn completely?!? I just love your philosophy and I too have been trying to be much more intentional these days. You inspire me to carry on! 😉 Gorgeous look and I LOVE that trench and those sneaks!
    XX,
    Heather

May 2, 2016 at 11:15 am

Heather, thank you so much sweet friend! It has taken me a while to get that mentality down pat but I think it’s finally sticking haha! I think there will always be those ‘slip-ups’ when we purchase something we know we shouldn’t, but that’s what keeps it fun and interesting, right? You have so many amazing and timeless pieces, I can’t imagine otherwise (and your neutral wardrobe speaks to my heart?) Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful week! Xo

KaDeana
    May 4, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Hi Doll!

I’m so happy to see you doing so well! Teddy is such a cutie. Miss ya!

May 5, 2016 at 1:35 pm

KB!! I’ve been meaning to reach out to you but live is getting away from me lately. Let’s set up a lunch/dinner date with you, me, and B and catch up okay? I’ll text you. Miss your face xo