Beauty

The Classics: Nude Lipstick

IMG_3556IMG_4204

(from left to right) Dolce Vita, Nude Lust (drugstore find!), Pure Pout, Cruising

Happy Tuesday! In my mission to blog more consistently, I’ve also been brainstorming ideas to help keep my content relevant, diverse, and helpful. I’ve decided to add my first series to the blog, The Classics! The Classics will consist of tried and true products and pieces that are always constants in my wardrobe, home, beauty, and skincare routine. Basically, I want to share with you what I’m loving! If this new blog segment means you’ll be able to try a new mascara, find a favorite candle, or add a new cleanser to your repertoire (guess how many times I tried to spell that one), we’ll call this a success 🙂 First up…nude lipsticks.

I’ve never been a lipstick person (with the exception of collecting Bonne Bell chapsticks like they were rare gems when I was younger) and truthfully, unless I was having my makeup professionally done for an event, chapstick was my product of choice. Beyond occasionally venturing out to a clear or shimmery gloss every now and then, the extent of my lip care ended there. I think it’s due in part that I always loved to play up my eyes and felt that wearing far too much eye makeup and lipstick was a bit excessive for me. It wasn’t until a few years ago, while making a trip to Sephora to buy makeup for my honeymoon, did I really consider the fact that lip products could enhance my features. The sales associate suggested that I start out slow and try a sheer lip color (a great way to incorporate subtle color #beginnerstricks) and so began my lipstick journey.

When I got sick last fall, my makeup routine went out the window, along with the rest of any unnecessary, time and energy consuming tasks short of occasionally brushing my hair and feeding myself. However, once I started blogging and taking pictures, I noticed that despite my face of makeup, I looked a little unfinished bare-lipped. I’ve since been experimenting with different colors that add a little somethin’ without being too over-the-top. Now, I’m not saying that I don’t love a good red, pink, or plum lip every once and a while but for the most part, I stick to a pretty natural lip color. Enter the no makeup, makeup lipstick.

After a ton of few failed attempts experimenting with colors (most shades either made me look like J-Lo circa 1999 or camouflaged my lips to my face), I’ve rounded up my favorite nude lipsticks!

1. Dolce Vita– a sheer, dusty rose shade (in my opinion, this color has more of a reddish/brown hint than pink.) I really love this color because it just looks like an enhancement of my natural shade.
  2. Nude Lust– a true nude, flesh-toned color. I had a really hard time finding a shade like this that didn’t either look like I put concealer on my lips or swatch too brown. This one fit the bill and you can’t go wrong with the price!
  3. Pure Pout– a neutral-to-warm-toned pinky-beige with a soft, shimmery sheen. I first got this color for my honeymoon because I wanted something really natural but with a hint of color. I’ve re-bought it three times since!
  4. Cruising– a semi-matte, nude pink. I really love this color and in my opinion, is the perfect nude. I haven’t seen anyone not look good in this lipstick and I really love it alone or layered with a liner like this one or this one (drugstore!)

Let me know what you think! I’d love to hear if you have any nude lip colors that you love. As always, thanks for reading!

LooksLikeRein
    March 29, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Love me some nude lipstick! ?

March 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Thank you so much Cherein! I hope you had a good day and thanks for stopping by xo

Annie
    March 29, 2016 at 6:01 pm

These are great peachy colored nudes! I love nude lipsticks that have more pink in them since my skin tone is more olive in color. Some of my favorites are MAC cremecup, MAC Angel or Urban Decay Native. The UD one is probably the most pink of the three, but the two MAC ones are really pretty pinky-nudes. 🙂
    xo Annie

March 29, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I have a pink lipstick post coming up in the future and Creme Cup is in the round up- it’s one of my favorites! Angel is too light for me but I love it on everyone else! I will add UD Native to my list to try at Sephora! Thanks for the rec, I’m always looking for some new favs 🙂 Thanks for stopping by Annie, I hope you’re feeling good! xo

Kait Elizabeth
    March 29, 2016 at 7:56 pm

These are all great picks!!! Hugs, Kait

March 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Thanks so much, Kait! Looking forward to meeting up soon! xx

rosesandrainbootsblog
    March 29, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Ohh can’t wait for this theme to continue. Obsessed with the “classics” already. Going to purchase a nude lipstick asap! Thanks for sharing your suggestions ?
    Xx, Lauren

March 29, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Thank you so much, Lauren! I already have several makeup and skincare categories lined up but I’m looking forward to mixing it up a bit as well 🙂 I hope you find something good! Thanks for stopping by! xo

janna doan (@jannadoan)
    March 29, 2016 at 9:28 pm

michele–come helppppp meeeeeee!!!! i can never find a nude. like ever. i always look dead.i totally agree with you on the lipstick and photos, it adds a little ….something. even when it’s just close to a “natural” color. i’ll have to check that MAC one out!! i’m a total Tom Ford fan when it comes to lipstick and mainly go for the bold colors. but i like the price point of MAC! i’m all about the classics so i really look forward to this series that you are working on! ps–so glad to hear you are doing better. xoxo,

March 29, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I completely understand where you’re coming from! I think Dolce Vita would look so pretty on you 🙂 You should go into Nordie’s or Sephora and try on a bunch until you find the perfect shade! (Try DV though, I think it could be the perfect match!) I’ve never tried Tom Ford but if you say they’re good, then I need to get me some! And recs for a good “starter shade”? Thanks for always showing some love girlfriend! xo

janna doan (@jannadoan)
        April 18, 2016 at 10:04 pm

hey babe–TF is a pretty pricey lipstick. but one of the best formulations in my opinion. for an everyday color i’d try indian rose or casablanca (doesn’t it sound so sexy, Mr. Ford knows what he’s doin’), my fave is his red in cherry lush. xoxo, JD

April 21, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I will take your recommendations as the holy grail! If my hubby wants to have a word with you due to the cash I’ll be dropping on a lipstick, just ignore him ? xo

Molly
    March 29, 2016 at 11:34 pm

All those colors look absolutely stunning! There’s nothing better than finding the perfect nude! Lovely post!

April 14, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Thank you so much Molly! So happy that you stopped by! Xx

Kristin
    March 30, 2016 at 3:19 pm

First of all, I LOVE this new series! Can’t wait to see where you go with it! 🙂 I’m all about nude lipsticks too…I love MAC’s Ring My Bell neutral–totally worth a try!

April 14, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Thank you my love! I’m totally adding that color to my list! I hope you’re settling back in after your trip and enjoy your weekend! Xx

ruthieridley
    April 1, 2016 at 10:58 am

I have never been able to fully pull off a nude lip, but in all honesty I don’t think I have given it a good try! I need to get into a store and try some of these on!! xx

April 14, 2016 at 1:18 pm

You do!! The best way I’ve found is to go to MAC, Nordies or Sephora and have them choose the shades that they think would look best on you. The best part is you can try on as many as you want before buying so you know you’ll love it! I’d try the MAC counter first 🙂 Xx

thestylelynnkind
    April 4, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I love a good nude lip! Great picks babe. Thanks so much for sharing! Xo, Roselyn

April 14, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by, Roselyn! I hope you have a great day xx

Pratima
    April 8, 2016 at 1:58 am

These days I am all about nude lipsticks;-) …Thanks for sharing this!!

April 14, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Right?! They’re the perfect way to add a little something yet still look natural. Thanks for stopping by Pratima! Xx