Fashion

Coatigan Lovin

IMG_1480IMG_1507  IMG_1433IMG_1418  IMG_1503 IMG_1492 IMG_1476IMG_1441

Coatigan [Loft] Jeans [Target] T-Shirt [Banana Republic] Bag [Rebecca Minkoff] Boots [Vince Camuto, similar here] Necklace [Monogram Online]

I may have been the worst math student on the face of the planet (seriously, I squeaked by my prerequisite college math class and haven’t done anything more complicated than calculating restaurant tips and discount percentages on my calculator app since) but I learned a simple equation the other day that I wanted to share with you; coat + cardigan= coatigan, a.k.a. the kind of mathematics I could get used to. Some clever, comfort-loving soul created this new closet staple and if you couldn’t gather from the simple formula, the coatigan is a thick, warm, blanket-soft sweater that pulls double duty as a lightweight coat with the undone chicness of a cardigan. I had never heard of such a thing before but shortly after stopping into Loft a few weeks ago (shocking, I know), I was quickly introduced and immediately infatuated.

I love a cozy sweater or jacket in the fall and wintertime but frankly, the combination of both is typically enough to trigger one of my biggest pet peeves since childhood- the infamous “bunched-sweater-in-the-arm-of-a-coat-sleeve” dilemma (okay, maybe it’s not widely infamous per say but I promise, you’ll feel my pain in a moment.) Remember in a Christmas Story when Randy can’t put his arms down because he’s tightly bundled up in so many layers that the discomfort is physically debilitating? I hate (let me repeat that with more emphasis…) I hate it when my sweater sleeves get bunched up in the arms of my coat! It’s so uncomfortable and the thought makes my skin crawl, right up there with chewing on cotton balls (damn you, dental appointments) or the sound of nails on a chalkboard. Try as you might, you can hold your sleeves down with the tips of your fingers while cautiously slipping your arm into your coat’s arm hole but I promise you, there’s no getting around it. You will wind up a bunched up, hot mess…literally. Now that I’ve shared that little fun fact, you can imagine my elation when I came across the coatigan and it’s ability to solve my issue!

Being I have little energy to put into getting ready and looking presentable, I’ve become a big fan of outfits that are no-fuss while remaining comfortable. I’m not going to lie, I wear this coatigan sweater around the house with sweats all. the. time. (who doesn’t want to walk around in a cozy blanket?) but can also pair it with a simple t-shirt, jeans, and booties and be ready to go! I love the neutral colors and this sweater is definitely the softest one I own…major bonus. In fact, I love it so much that I scooped up two more during the recent 60% off sale which you’ll see in some upcoming posts! What do you think? Can you get behind the coatigan trend?

Thanks for reading!

cropped-screen-shot-2015-08-04-at-1-30-43-pm.png

Vanessa @ Living in Steil
    November 12, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Okay, so we have yet another thing in common…eeking by our math classes. The only math I do these days is to calculate percentages when it comes sale time at my favorite store. I adore coatigans, they are seriously the most comfortable, cozy thing ever. I’m not a fan of anything heavy and I despise layers (why do I live on the East Coast?), but I can totally get onboard with a coatigan. Your snaps are great and I love your outfit!

November 13, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Hahaha same!! That little app comes in handy! This sweater is AMAZING- I can’t stress it enough! It keeps me so warm but not too warm. Thanks so much for the love my dear! Happy Friday! Xo

kblanch6
    November 12, 2015 at 6:56 pm

I am also a huge huge fan of the coatigan, Although I didn’t know the term until now lol, so thanks for that! You look gorgeous as always!

-Katie

November 13, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I think they made it up but I can go with it! Thank you so much Katie, Happy Friday! xo

Asa
    November 12, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I love the coatigan and how you styled it. I’m also a big fan of the Loft. You look so cute.

November 13, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much, Asa! I see that you’re a loft lover like myself- it’s my fav store, it can do no wrong! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Xo

Bradley
    November 13, 2015 at 12:37 am

Love the way you styled it.

November 13, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Thank you my dear! I know you love a good roll neck sweater too! Miss you xoxox

raysastyle
    November 13, 2015 at 2:35 am

Beautiful! Love this fall look. Xo

maketodayahollyday
    November 13, 2015 at 9:51 am

Beautiful! Love the bag!!

November 13, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much, Holly! Have a wonderful weekend! xo

Kristen
    November 13, 2015 at 10:18 am

How have I missed this new lingo…”coatigan”, LOVE IT! Love the tans on grays and obviously I love this bag 😉 Great look girl!!

November 13, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I’m pretty sure Loft created the term but it’s pretty clever! Thank you so much, Kristen and Happy Friday! Xo

kim
    November 13, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Fashion math – I love it! 🙂 And I love this look. I love layering for the colder months … this is a perfect ensemble for the kind of weather we have in SoCal. And perfect for the weekend – have a great one!

November 17, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Thanks so much Kim! I hope you’re having a wonderful week! Xo

Molly Clifton
    November 15, 2015 at 4:11 am

It’s OK that you wear this all the time, because it is SO cute! I love an effortless look and you have this mastered beautifully! Also, I love your smile. Keep smiling!!

Molly | http://www.stylemissmolly.com

November 17, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Thanks so much Molly! I love simple outfits☺️ Hope you’re having a great week! Xo

Corina
    November 16, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your mathematics talents with us:) This coat + cardigan = coatigan is perfect for our Texas weather! I definitely want and LOFT is my absolute fav!

November 17, 2015 at 4:25 pm

What can I say, I’m a natural mathematician haha! Loft is my fav too, SO much goodness in one store! Thanks for the love Corina! Happy Tuesday Xo

Shell
    November 17, 2015 at 8:40 am

GIRL!!! You hair is perfect! Love this coatigan and the patterns on it!
    xoxo, Shell

November 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Shell you make me feel so good about my hair even though I swear I do nothing to it! I guess laziness pays off sometimes haha! Thanks for the sweet comment as always and enjoy your week love! xo

Brittney
    November 18, 2015 at 8:56 am

OK so not only have you made me obsessed with the loft(scored crazy deals last week with the veterans sale) but I found now more excuses to wear a “blanket” around all the time. I love this trend and I truly hope it never leaves! Hope you are having some more better days! Xo

November 25, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Britt! Glad you love Loft as much as I do! They always have the best sales! Hope you’re well! xo

Shelby Hearts
    December 10, 2015 at 9:28 pm

OK your coatigan is somethin fierce fo sho.
    But you HAIR!!! It is so dang beaute. Color me jealous.

December 15, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Haha thank you! I just let it air dry 🙂 I’ve found that less fuss is better these days!

sincerelyellec
    December 10, 2015 at 11:34 pm

You are so beautiful!! And I really love your taste in style! and I fell in love with your blog! 😀 I know I’m really going to enjoy following you! <3 <3 you seem like you have a good eye for fashion and putting looks together! Love it!!

December 15, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Aw thank you so much Elle! That’s so sweet! I hope you’re having a great week! Xx