Fashion

Distressed Denim and Exciting News

IMG_1301 IMG_1315 IMG_1324

IMG_1319

IMG_1398

IMG_1303

Sweater [Loft, on sale!] Jeans [old, similar here] Boots [Last season but found them here!] Bag [Rebecca Minkoff] Sunnies [Dolce & Gabanna]

Happy Fri-yay! With each post I start to write, I always say to myself, “I’m going to keep this one sweet and simple.” Well nine novels later (just joking…but for real though), I’m really going to stick to it this time! I can’t help it. Once I start writing, I feel that I do a disservice to my experience when I try to shorten it up too much. (Now I know why it never failed to say “chatty” and “detail oriented” on my elementary school report cards but at least I’ve stayed consistent!) I’m going to do my best to mix it up a bit so let’s get to it!

When I first saw distressed jeans hit the stores a few seasons ago, I was a bit apprehensive. I mean, it’s not like someone had a gun to my head to buy a pair but I felt compelled enough to try a few on. I wasn’t sure if this look fit my style but after the good, the bad, and the ugly, I finally found a few pairs that I love! I believe there’s a way to wear distressed denim and wear them well. If ya do it right, they say “I’m relaxed and effortlessly chic but here to party.” Okay, maybe not but here are a few tips that I try to abide by when shopping for or styling a pair! (Note: this is just my opinion as to what works for me.)

Keep it streamlined: If I’m looking at a very distressed pair, I find it best to keep the silhouette streamlined. I believe, as with any casual look, there’s a fine line between stylish and sloppy. Unless you’re Gwen Stefani circa 1992 or a young Mark Wahlberg (that Calvin ad? Swoon), really baggy and super distressed jeans are a tough look to pull off. Don’t get me wrong, I do love a good pair of boyfriend jeans as much as the next gal but if I’m going that route, lightly distressed is key!

Keep it simple: Whenever I’m wearing any article of clothing that has a lot of detail like really distressed denim with some tears, frayed fringe, and washed coloring, I try to keep the rest of my outfit as simplistic as possible. After all, I want the jeans to be the focus and too many competing pieces can take away from the look. As always, there are exceptions (envisioning a sequined top…heart eyes) but typically, the beauty of them is the relaxed, undone look!

Keep it balanced: A rule of thumb for jeans in general- if they’re more fitted, feel free to wear that oversized tunic. If they’re a baggy fit, a structured blazer or more form-fitting top is usually the best bet. (Remember: chic, not sloppy!) I tend to sway toward a more feminine style even though I’m writing this post in my husbands XL sweater (it’s so cozy!) I don’t believe that you need to wear tons of sparkles, lace, and pearls to achieve that (who am I kidding? I love all three) but being distressed denim tends to have a more masculine feel, I like to balance that out with a touch of femininity. A chic heel, a touch of ruffle, a statement bag…all pieces that compliment and balance the look yet keep me feeling polished.

Finally…an announcement! I’m so excited because my blog is being featured today by Julianna of Blush & Camo as a part of her Friday Favorite series! When Julianna approached me about this, I was so honored. When I first started blogging in August, her feed was one of the first that I found and although I had like seven few followers, she graciously followed me back. Since that day, she has become a friend and a source of inspiration in more ways than one. Julianna has impeccable style, a heart of gold, and a bad ass day job- did I mention that she’s an officer in the Army?! Go check out her blog for a fun Q&A with me and loads of style inspo! I promise you won’t be disappointed! Have a wonderful weekend!

cropped-screen-shot-2015-08-04-at-1-30-43-pm.png

Vanessa @ Living in Steil
    October 23, 2015 at 11:33 am

I love your style (not to mention the backdrop for those shots is awesome!). I sat here nodding my head in agreement with every point you made. You did a great job styling this look with the peplum top and pop of leopard. When wearing distressed denim, less is definitely more. Congrats on your feature! I can’t wait to check it out.

October 23, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thank you so much Vanessa! I felt funny at first giving out style tips like some sort of stylist but I realized- that’s what I’m here to do! Share my tips of what works for me and I’m SO thankful and relieved that you can relate! Have a wonderful weekend! Xo

Kristen
    October 23, 2015 at 11:45 am

Amazing!! Congrats!

October 23, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Thank you so much, Kristen! Have a great weekend!

The Style Contour
    October 23, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I just found your blog thanks to Julianna’s feature of you and I’m truly touched and inspired by your story and the idea and concept behind your blog! I can definitely understand why she’s chosen to feature you, you are a gorgeous babe who’s got plenty of style! I adore this look and that bag is fierce, I love it!

I hope you have a wonderful day and start to your weekend, girlie!

XO,

Jalisa

October 23, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Thank you so much Jalisa! I absolutely adore Julianna and I’m so glad you enjoyed the little Q&A! I really appreciate the encouragement and sweet comments! (I’d also wear this bag everyday if I could!) I’m going to check out your blog now and enjoy your weekend! Thanks again☺️ xo

October 23, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I can’t figure out how to subscribe to your blog! Nothing happens when I type in my email! 🙁

Julianna
    October 23, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Aghhh you are the SWEETEST! Thank you so much for the shout out, and I loved your style even when you first started and this look today is amazing! I can’t stop staring at those booties! I hope you have an amazing weekend, love and thank you so much for being apart of my mini series!

xx Julianna

October 23, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Thank you so much, Julianna! You have one loyal blush babe over here and I’m so thankful we met on IG! Looking forward to many great things ahead for the both of us! Have a wonderful weekend my love xoxox

Ela (@WunderBliss)
    October 24, 2015 at 1:52 am

You do distressed denim very well Michelle! I have a huge obsession with distressed denim as you may or may not know. Think it’s time to relax on buying distressed denim for a while.. hahaha. I love the backdrop you selected for these photos and the way you styled this entire look! Getting some serious inspiration from this post! I truly enjoy reading your posts and even though you think they are too long I feel like you are really true to ur blog and I love that! :-). Have a great weekend!

October 24, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment, Ela! Is it possible to own too many pairs of jeans? I think not but I guess that won’t help solve your issue☺️ I get so much inspo from your looks and have actually been on the hunt for a blush colored scarf because of you haha! I’m so glad you enjoy reading my mini novels and thanks again for all of your support. Have a wonderful weekend, love! xo

raysastyle
    October 24, 2015 at 2:25 am

Love this simple yet beautiful look!! Loving your hair ? Happy weekend doll. Xox

October 24, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much, Raysa! It’s actually just air dried but I’ll pretend I did something fancy with it? Have a wonderful weekend!?

raysastyle
        October 25, 2015 at 2:01 am

You’re welcome! You too. Xo

Petite in Paris
    October 24, 2015 at 5:25 am

This outfit is perfect for the fall!! I love the way you paired your fierce bag with the white top, genius move! It really makes it stand out! Great background as well.

Diane

October 24, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Thank you so much Diane! I absolutely love this bag and jump at every opportunity to wear it! Have a lovely weekend! xo

Kait Elizabeth
    October 26, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Every single on of these shots is perfection! I just ordered a pair of uber distressed jeans and I can’t wait to style them. Hugs, Kait

October 27, 2015 at 11:37 am

Thank you so much girl! Can’t wait to see what you pair them with! Xox

Annie
    October 30, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Julianna was also one of my first follows on Instagram and I just love her bright playful photos – and those braids! So many cute hair styles! I also love what you do because it’s refreshing, fun, and real. You don’t take yourself too seriously and just have fun with it. It’s a passion project and I love that you keep it authentic to YOU. Love this post.
    xo Annie

Shell
    November 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

So gorgeous my friend! Love you bag and as always, love your hair!
    xo, Shell

Joyce Davies
    November 5, 2015 at 8:14 pm

This look is so cute. Distressed jeans are very in and with this added detail on boyfriend jeans it makes it that much more cool. And I totally understand about not trying to write a novel but when inspiration comes, it comes. Great look love.

Hugs & Love